The 2019 Volvo S60 body structure uses Boron steel which accounts for 33 percent of the car’s body weight. Previous models used this Boron steel in up to 10 percent of the construction of its cars.
The Volvo S60 is packed full of safety features. The City Safety Technology package is one of these features that activates above 2.5 mph. Some of the features included are:
|Auto-brake System||Designed to warn the driver or, in the worst case scenario, activate the automatic braking after detecting pedestrians, cyclists, or large animals.|
|Oncoming Collision Mitigation||Designed to avoid or mitigate collisions with oncoming vehicles at intersections.|
|Steering Support||Designed to assist drivers during evasive actions in emergency situations by braking the inner wheel, aiding steering, and then braking the outer wheel to help straighten the vehicle.|
|Large Animal Detection and Evasion System||Designed to identify and evade large animals if needed|
The S60 is also designed with a bunch of passive safety systems:
- Front-impact airbags -Front-impact airbags for the driver and passenger have been designed to protect the head during a frontal crash.
- Side impact airbags – Side impact airbags for the front seats have been designed to protect the torso during a side impact collision.
- Overhead airbags – Overhead airbags are used to protect the occupant’s heads in the event of a side collision or rollover.
- Knee airbags – Knee airbags help to protect the occupants lower extremities from serious injury in the event of an accident.
- Pretensioners – Seat-belt pretensioners automatically tighten seat-belts to place the occupant in the optimal seating position during a collision.
- Anti-whiplash – Anti-whiplash head restraints actively react to rear collision forces and cradle the occupants head in an effort to reduce the likelihood of a whiplash injury.